Saturday 16 July 2011

Continuing Professional Development

I created this blog at a workshop some years ago, but couldn't see a practical application for it at the time, so it was relegated to the bottom of my CPD to-do list; that impossible list of things that I know I need to tackle if I am to stay on top in an ever-changing environment!

I have recently graduated from library school and since then I have learnt some valuable lessons:
  1. It is so much harder to keep up-to-date with changes without the structure and support of my university and class mates.
  2. You cannot afford to stop learning in the LIS sector. Turn your back for a moment and you become a relic.
  3. No matter how small your library is, there is no reason to feel isolated in this day and age.
Having attended a recent workshop on Web 2.0, I suddenly realised I have ignored all these pearls of wisdom, particularly since a major shake-up at work left me very isolated (both physically and in terms of support) and in charge of a small business college library. This new facility is so different (in terms of colleagues, user group focus, size and budget), but if I wish to build its reputation back and beyond that of its pre-merger state and service the needs of its ever changing and technologically demanding user base, I must look carefully at my own plans for professional development.

Without the demands of study pressing me for time, I no longer have an excuse not to concentrate on CPD. So I have joined 23 Things for Professional Development in an effort to share ideas, develop networks and, hopefully, learn how to use some of the marvellous technology that is available to the LIS sector.

For me it could be a bumpy ride - I'm already behind on my "Things" list, but I'm hoping it is possible to teach an old dog new clicks.

1 comment:

Agung Sawen said...

Excellent article, Thank you
The best site to earn bitcoin every hour 😍 with many other features:
https://freebitco.in